Homelessness in Minnesota… does it exist?
Yes! It just looks different here.
People in our area experiencing homelessness might be:
- Living in their car
- Walking around 24-hour businesses all night to keep warm
- Sleeping in a storage garage
- “Camping” when it’s too cold to still be camping
- Sleeping outside
- Locking themselves in bathrooms of businesses overnight
- “Couch hopping,” (going from friend to friend to friend, staying
for a couple of days or a week or two, all the while having no
place of their own.)
- Using the last of their resources to pay for short stays at a local
- Fleeing domestic violence
When people have no place to go, United Community Action Partnership is there to help. In the form of limited motel stays, United Community Action Partnership is able to offer a short-term solution while working very hard with people in the program to come up with a plan for long-term housing stability. Part of the plan may include employment and housing search, connections to mainstream resources, and/or short to medium term rental assistance.
Are you in need of emergency shelter?
Contact us or call our corporate office in Marshall, MN at 507-537-1416 and we will connect you to one of our dedicated staff members.